Change admin password through phpmyadmin

My client has a site on the GoDaddy servers.
I need to change the admin password but am not receiving the email using the normal process through the login panel.
How can I change the admin password through phpmyadmin?

thanks

hello. You cannot change the password through phpMyAdmin because the password is not saved in the database. What is saved in the database is a hash of the password.

Here’s an article that lists all ways of logging back in as an Admin. If you are in a hurry and want the quick and dirty but effective way, go straight to the last one.

Once you’re logged in just change yor password from the dashbaord

2 Likes

If you have access to phpMyAdmin you can copy the Password Reset link from the Logs table record and put it into your browser to go through the normal Password Reset steps.

1 Like

I have searched the ‘LOGS’ table and cannot find any link to reset password?
Can you be more specific please?

I tried using "The complete guide to recovering a user password in concrete5 - Kalmoya.com " following instructions exactly… didn’t work!

I also tried concrete’s own page: Reset Concrete CMS Password Manually :: Concrete CMS
didn’t work!

When I searched for the ‘Logs’ in the database and found the last entry, it said the password reset had been sent, however the email never arrived.

What’s really concerning me is… I know my admin password has been changed because I got a warning from ‘Dashlane Password Health’ saying it had been compromised because of Instagram breach.

Did you try the very last option in the kalmoya.com article? That one is pretty much guaranteed to work.

Yes I tried that too, when i push enter the page just refreshed but not logged in.

I found the ‘Users’ section in the database.
I found the ‘uName’ admin with a uID of ‘1’.
I can see my email address and next to that is a box named ‘uPassword’ which contains a long text string.
Nowhere in this table can I see a password reset link which a lot of posts mention.
Please can you help me as Im really stuck on this one. Thanks.

I’m surprised that tutorial didn’t work for you… ANyway, what @hutman sais was “Password Reset link from the Logs table”
So:

• Use the “forgot my password” functionality from the login page
  • in your database look for the table named “Logs” not “users”
  • the newest record in that table will be the message that was sent to your email address
  • in that message copy the link that was sent to you to reset your password
  • paste the link in your browser and reset your password

For anyone who is having problems resetting ‘admin’ user passwords, this is my method to get password reset emails to work (Assume this will also work for any other user also).

Code for the file named ‘concrete.php’ which resides in application/config directory.
You will need to replace xxxx@youremail.com with default account set on your domain in the hosting panel for sending email.

<?php

return array(
    'email' => array(
        'form_block' => array(
            'address' => 'xxxx@youremail.com',
        ),
        'validate_registration' => array(
            'name' => 'Site Email Validation', // this can be left out
        ),
        'forgot_password' => array(
        ),
    ),
);

Code for the file named ‘concrete.php’ which resides in concrete/config directory.
This code varies depending on the core version you are using. Just look for the bit of code for mail. you will have to change all of the detail for: server, username and password, for your hosting default account for sending email. You will have to check if: SMTP, port 587 and TLS are correct for your hosting environment.

'mail' => [
        'method' => 'smtp',
        'methods' => [
            'smtp' => [
                'server' => 'yourhostsmailserver',
                'username' => 'xxxx@youremail.com',
                'password' => 'paswordForYourEmail',
                'port' => '587',
                'encryption' => 'TLS',
                'messages_per_connection' => null,
                'helo_domain' => '',

Once you have all the code saved, go back to your sites login page and request a password reset, but use the email address associated with the ‘user account’, not the default account set on your domain in the hosting panel for sending email.

Typically when emails don’t go it’s most likely that the website is not using an SMTP server. I’ve never seen a situation where there is an SMTP server available and it wasn’t set up.
So then suggesting setting up SMTP would mean recommending a paid solution when there are several free solutions that work pretty well (still wonder why they didn’t work for you)

So personally that possibility never occurred toe because it always seemed farfetched… :sweat_smile: