Change backend language in v9

I have a site that does not respond to changes to the backend locale. I installed German and selected it, the file is there (can not verify the contents but there is some german in there).

I do not get an error or anything when changing to german but the backend stays the same (even after relogging).

Is there any lead i can follow? I do not know where to investigate. A new concrete installation in the same env works.

Edit: the permissions are in place for the application/languages folder. (i even tried 777 with no success)

Project Settings:

# Concrete Version
Core Version - 9.1.1
Version Installed - 9.1.1
Database Version - 20220516191423

# Database Information
Version: 5.7.30

# Concrete Packages
Block Developer (1.4.1), redacted (2.0.3), redacted (0.1.0)

# Concrete Overrides
blocks/external_form/form/newsletter_form.php, blocks/external_form/form/controller/newsletter_form.php, blocks/external_form/form/controller/mitglied_form.php, blocks/external_form/form/controller, blocks/external_form/form/mitglied_form.php, blocks/external_form/form, blocks/external_form/db.xml, blocks/external_form, src/MitgliedFormModel.php, src/NewsletterFormModel.php

# Concrete Cache Settings
Block Cache - On
Overrides Cache - On
Full Page Caching - Off
Full Page Cache Lifetime - Every 6 hours (default setting).

# Server Software

# Server API

# PHP Version

# PHP Extensions
apcu, bcmath, calendar, cgi-fcgi, Core, ctype, curl, date, dom, exif, FFI, fileinfo, filter, ftp, gd, gettext, hash, iconv, imagick, imap, intl, json, ldap, libxml, mbstring, mysqli, mysqlnd, openssl, pcre, PDO, pdo_mysql, pdo_pgsql, pdo_sqlite, pgsql, Phar, posix, readline, Reflection, session, shmop, SimpleXML, soap, sockets, sodium, SPL, sqlite3, standard, sysvmsg, sysvsem, sysvshm, tokenizer, xml, xmlreader, xmlwriter, xsl, Zend OPcache, zip, zlib

# PHP Settings
max_execution_time - 240
max_file_uploads - 20
max_input_nesting_level - 64
max_input_time - 60
max_input_vars - 1500
memory_limit - 512M
post_max_size - 50M
upload_max_filesize - 50M
zend.exception_string_param_max_len - 0
ldap.max_links - Unlimited
mbstring.regex_retry_limit - 1000000
mbstring.regex_stack_limit - 100000
mysqli.max_links - Unlimited
mysqli.max_persistent - Unlimited
pcre.backtrack_limit - 1000000
pcre.recursion_limit - 100000
pgsql.max_links - Unlimited
pgsql.max_persistent - Unlimited
session.cache_limiter - <i>no value</i>
session.gc_maxlifetime - 7200
soap.wsdl_cache_limit - 5
unserialize_max_depth - 4096
opcache.jit_bisect_limit - 0
opcache.jit_max_exit_counters - 8192
opcache.jit_max_loop_unrolls - 8
opcache.jit_max_polymorphic_calls - 2
opcache.jit_max_recursive_calls - 2
opcache.jit_max_recursive_returns - 2
opcache.jit_max_root_traces - 1024
opcache.jit_max_side_traces - 128
opcache.max_accelerated_files - 500000
opcache.max_file_size - 0
opcache.max_wasted_percentage - 5

The back end will stay in English unless you make a language change in the backend.

Would you care to elaborate? As stated in my original post i did change the language in the backend with no effect.

Do i not get your reply or did you not read my post?

did you change it here

yes i did change it there.

Hi @donat

I just tested with the German .mo file and was able to get it to work. Make sure you’ve done the following:

1.) Make sure your file is located at this exact file path: application/languages/it_IT/LC_MESSAGES/

2.) Make sure to rename the file from to

These instructions are here on the right hand side for reference:

Let me know if that does the trick for you :+1:

I can also make it work on a fresh install but not on a project i created recently. I have all the same settings and configs (in public/application/config) set but no translations showing up.

I do not know why or how i could track this problem.

You might check permissions on your .mo file on the server. Otherwise in your shoes I would try doing including the language again from scratch just in case anything got missed along the way.

You might also check the logs? See if there are any errors getting thrown (like a permissions error or whatnot).

I have even tried chmod 777 and all open on the whole languages folder to no result. I also played with locale-switching in firefox via an addon/extension but i am not shure if that worked as intended. I got no different results.

At the moment i am upgrading a few older sites to v9 (not fun at all) and have different strange language behaviour. On the site that caused this thread i have a perfectly translated login view (/login) with “Willkommen zurück! Bitte melden Sie sich an, um fortzufahren.” and so on but after login, everything is english again.

The logs are silent, can’t find any errors anywhere.

Edit: On another v9.1.3 site i have the opposite. I set everything to german and the backend gets translated but the /login view is english and won’t change.