"Check for updates" checks for what?

I’m running several c5 sites for customers since 2008 and I know, how to manually update c5. Still I wonder what the purpose of the menu option “Check for updates” could be, as I never got any answer from it since I noticed it in some version years ago, even if updates actually are available as e.g. today: my own website runs on 8.5.6 and I doublechecked that there is already 8.5.7, 9.0.0 and 9.0.1 available. So what is the mentioned function meant to do? I didn’t find anything about it in the documentation either. The update process described in the docs is not applicable to my installation (it mentions a menu option that doesn’t exist…). In the archived forum I found 1 single post form 2019 mentioning the problem, but no answer either. As also the author of this post writes: I can’t see why I would be having it on lots of sites but nobody else is reporting the problem.
As I already wrote: I know how to manually check for updates and how to install them manually, and I even prefer to do it manually! But my customers ask me, why their installation is out of date although they check for updates on a regular basis! And I should have an answer…