Eco-Label "Blauer Engel" sustainable software | resource- and energy-efficient applications

We are working on a proposal for a CMS project regarding architecture/construction within the standards of the 2000-Watt-Gesellschaft, (2000-watt society). This vision pictures that average first world citizen are reducing their overall average primary energy usage to 2,000 watts.

Since we’re going to suggest open source ConcreteCMS, we would like to know if the CMS is in any way «friendly» towards the seal «Blauer Engel, The Environmental Label» which is also awarded to resource- and energy-efficient software products.

Basically, the three main goals of the seal/label are: 1.) The application must get by with as little energy as possible. 2.) The software should not contribute to premature replacement of existing hardware. 3.) The software should provide security updates for at least five years. See: https://produktinfo.blauer-engel.de/uploads/criteriafile/en/DE-UZ%20215-202001-en-Criteria-V2.pdf

Is there any data available or does Concrete have an environmental or ecological policy?

If we could add a few phrases regarding resource and energy efficiency, we certainly could cement our proposal.

Thank you

1 Like

Sounds interesting. But what does “as low energy as possible” mean? Compared to what? So it means as little CPU usage as possible, or as little usage of external libraries (though network) as possible? Are there any metrics that can be measured?

Like… you could set up a local server on as Raspberry and run concretecms on it to measure the real power consumption. But how to prove that it is “as low as possible”? Is there any information of that?

Like @Cahueya mentioned, it should fulfill all those criteria - the power consumption depends on the hardware you’re running and the load on said hardware, but that’s not really specific to Concrete CMS.

This is quite an interesting topic. I wonder why there isn’t a big response to that topic.

Considering that a single google search uses about 0.0003 kWh and producing about 5 grams of CO2 and, that the information and communications technology sector as whole is expected to account for 15% of the world’s carbon footprint by 2040.

Are there no replies because Concrete is so sustainable or is it because nobody ever thinking about this?

I think the development team should take an eye of this.

Thank you
MarcoD

1 Like

It is really not as easy to answer, there might be differences between accessing a full-cached site (query into RAM) or submitting a form (CPU), querying small or huge databases, which processor type youre using for the setup.

Reading through the requirements (making hardware obsolete, making software obsolete), I would say concreteCMS is pretty much compliant because it does not rely on much external sources and does not force you to change your hardware setup unless youre running on a really really old box.

To measure the real efficiency of the code, you could measure the power consumption of different task in a lap setup, neglecting the network energy consumption. I am not sure if this can be done representative or just “to produce numbers” without comparison.

I might give it a try on a local setup because it is an interesting case. But I doubt this would be representative for a real-world scenario.

I think it depends on how “real” you want that data to be. To just produce any numbers (like the cost of Google Search, to compare) you can do it. Will it be real data compared to all those usecases possible? No way.

1 Like

Thanks for the inputs on this matter @Cahueya @mdis @EvanCooper.

I’m also surprised that we have only a few responses.

In the meantime we’re pretty sure that Concrete will be used. Some «conditions» probably come in place, where we have to trim the CMS. Although we have no idea how to do this. Fortunately the Institute has their own developers.

1 Like

With so many sites cloud hosted and others on virtual servers, this kind of commitment really depends on the site owner picking an appropriately sized hosting service.

Having said that, php8 is more efficient than previous php versions, so the code part of hosting the same site should now use less resources. As per @Cahueya, Concrete is good on caching, but caching trades off memory for execution, so can’t be expressed as a straight forward calculation.

I think v8 was released just over 5 years ago and security updates end this year, primarily because php security updates are ending. Nevertheless, an update path exists for v8 to v9, so support continues. Portland Labs no doubt have some contract with the US gov for long term support that includes words about security.

No matter what the intent is for Concrete CMS (or any other software), updates are highly dependant on updates to the software infrastructure and 3rd party code pulled in.

Thanks John for your inputs. It helped putting together my arguments.
And it worked out, project will be using Concrete.

Hi blinkdesign

Is your project getting ahead?

Are you developing a sustainable version?

For a similar project we’d like to use a «sustainable» or at least a «abgespeckte» cocncretecms version.

Would it be possible that you share information how to achieve this?

Thank you in advance.

Catherine M.

Yes, the website/intranet is under development. We at blink do actually only the design but we work closely with the developers.
If your project has similar needs, I’m pretty sure client would consider cooperation. If you are interested in the project, please PM us and I could connect you with the clients project manager.

I will do so. Thank you very much.
C.