How about a v9-ready badge?

To encourage developers to test and where necessary update addons & themes for v9, and to reward those who have already updated their addons and themes, how about a v9-ready badge?

I am thinking of something like the existing user badges that can be

• Applied to marketplace pages for addons and themes that have been checked and updated for v9. This could ideally be automatic, or if necessary just a shared image resource we can edit into marketplace pages.
  • Awarded to developers once more than xx% of their ‘modern’ marketplace items are v9 compatible. Maybe one badge for 50%, two badges for 75% and three badges for 100% v9 compatible.
2 Likes

I thought that the marking add-ons or themes v9 compatible is obvious.
If not then we should definitely label them that way. Earlier, but also today, the search engine on the marketplace did not work very well and was losing filters, so clear labeling would be useful.

I would even consider introducing two types.

• designed for 9
  • compatible with 9

Does what you propose to apply to programmers or add-ons?
I am not a programmer so I do not know if they need it, from my point of view it will not bring anything, and may only introduce unnecessary confusion. :thinking:

1 Like

The priority is to show the badge with addons/themes, so that would not act like the usual user account badges.

However, if it can be extended to developers and badged with their user accounts, that will further help to build commitment to v9.

2 Likes

If it could help/motivate them - why not, probably you right it could work somehow, however, I think that the market will do that faster.

In a year or two no one will remember about version 8, and keeping older ones seems unwise, unprofitable, and simply dangerous. Security patches are introduced with each new version or update, so somehow the market forces us to update anyway.

To push development forward I would even consider introducing two types of badges for add-one/themes.

• designed for 9
  • compatible with 9
1 Like

I love it. I’ll see what we can do.

1 Like

It would also be useful to filter items by supported version

I requested such a while back, so far no result.

To get round it, I have tagged my v9 ready addons and themes so they show on a free text search for version9.

https://marketplace.concretecms.com/marketplace/addons/-/view/?submit_search=1&search_keywords=version9

https://marketplace.concretecms.com/marketplace/themes/-/view/?submit_search=1&search_keywords=version9