Install Error - Invalid datetime format - AWS + bitnami LAMP

I have been trying to get concrete CMS installed but the install script keeps giving errors. Although the install script successfully creates its own database, it still gets ‘invalid datetime format’ errors later in the install.

I’m running the bitnami LAMP image in AWS Lightsail, and the install fails with:

An exception occurred while executing 'insert into PermissionAccessEntities (petID) values(?)' with params [false]: SQLSTATE[22007]: Invalid datetime format: 1366 Incorrect integer value: '' for column concrete5-db.PermissionAccessEntities.petID at row 1.

Can anyone offer any insights? Thanks in advance!

That kind of error is often associated with a database that is configured to be strict, where the code saving to the database does not supply a required column (and assumes null will be inserted).

Having said that, I always configure databases as strict and have not encountered that error on install. Such an error is more often encountered in application or addon code that was developed or maintained on a database that was not configured strict and then used on a site where the database is strict.

I also usually install from the concrete CLI.

I’m using a AWS Lightsail server. I recommend it as an easy and inexpensive way to spin up a VPS.

Like like an old broken analog clock, I have a chance of eventually being right on this someday and actually helping someone. Check to make sure your database charset collation is set to utf8mb4 so it can accept 4-byte characters. I’ve been using utf8mb4_unicode_ci.

I’ve been testing a bunch of different Concrete themes have needed to reset with new install numerous times. Personally, I find it more convent to use the webpage install method for that. At least on Concrete v8, I found the pre-install tests didn’t alert me to an incorrect database collation or user permissions not being correct. Either of these can cause the install to fail with some sql errors. A newly created database user may not have some permissions granted by default.

• Structure
    ** REFERENCE
    ** LOCK TABLES
    ** INDEX
    ** CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES

Thanks for the tips. Neither seems to be the issue. I’ve re-done the install countless times, carefully following the instructions and I’ve tried both CLI and Web.

Sometimes it gives the error above, and sometimes it gives others. There were times it implied a syntax error in some script somewhere, and other times it implied a file could’t be found, and other times it said there was a problem with the database (that it created).

I eventually blew it away and deployed a bitnami packaged image, which I managed to get running … but I’m really disappointed that I cant get a simple install to complete. I don’t want to have to rely on bitnami images.

oh and one time it did actually install … but the canonical url was wrong (doh!), so I had to blow it away and start over. Following the exact same process again, however lead to the same cycle of random errors and failures.

Hmm, I’ve never had a problem installing from a decompressed set of install files provided the dB is set up correctly.

If you’re reusing a dB, make sure all the tables have been dropped.

If you’d rather have more GUI control over your server, I think AWS Lightsail still has a 3 domain license version (no additional charge) of Plesk that’s real easy to administer. If you’re using AWS Route 53 for your DNS, there’s a connector that will sync your Plesk DNS with Route 53 nameservers. I’ve had one running a production site for a couple years, no problems. You can also choose which versions of PHP and webserver you want to use.

This is what I do for test sites (another AWS Lightsail server running CWP):

1. Upload the install file to the server
  2. Decompress
  3. Move or copy the decompressed set of files out of the decompressed folder and place them in to the root of domain’s folder
  4. Create a dB and user
  5. Browse to the domain or IP
  6. Fill in the form prompts
  7. That should be it
  8. Works every time for me.