I have a site that is on 9.2.5. The client was on 5.6 until I rebuilt it from scratch in V9. The client hates V9 so much I almost lost him but since there’s a lot he doesn’t like, I’ve been waiting to see if the UX improves before upgrading the site. We can’t wait any longer so I need to upgrade for security even if UX hasn’t changed much. The Dashboard is telling me I can jump right to 9.5.4 but my past experience tells me that oftentimes that’s a bad idea. Anyone have any experience jumping this far in one shot?
Within v9 jumping straight to latest is safer than introducing intermediaries. Take the usual backup and go for it in one big bang.
If there are any overrides or extensions of core classes in application or packages, some function signatures have changed, so there may be some minimal fixes needed, especially to do with how block templates are resolved.
Thx. I appreciate your advice. I’ll back it up to my localhost and give it a shot locally first. There has been a few mods put into this this site but it was a few years ago so I can’t remember them all.
Running updates locally is our standard procedure. At least you have a chance to see what might break before committing to a production server.
Obviously, once you’ve done it on the production site, you could still run into other problems due to differences in server configuration, but at the least, you’ll have confidence on the majority of functionality.
Curious as to why skipping inbetween updates within v9 is the better approach.