Modifying the appearance of blog entries

What am I doing wrong? Or maybe it doesn’t work?

I’m trying to change the appearance of blog entries by modifying one of the parts - sidebar (in the types, blog entry, and output sections)
it works for new entries, but I cannot update the previous ones - I don’t see an option that allows it
Have any of you tried this? any tips?

PHP Version 8.1.24

Hey @ampersand -

Yeah you should be able to do “set up on child pages” by clicking on the block you want to send out to the child pages:

But maybe you’re talking about modifying existing blocks on the page?

The other guess would be caching - you might try clearing cache and maybe those other pages would update if it’s a more visual change you’re making.

@EvanCooper I honestly think someone (Core Team) needs to install a legacy version of concrete and see how setting up default pages and individual blocks worked on page type defaults pages. The whole idea of setting up / modifying defaults areas and blocks is a contrived mess compared to what it used to be. I’ve mentioned this quirk numerous times and nobody seems to have picked up on it yet… The way you could set up and unset blocks in areas of defaults pages was lost with the shift to v9 :expressionless:

1 Like

For instance, in legacy, say you had a handful of blocks set up in an area of page type defaults and you wanted to change the order of said blocks on all output pages:

1. Click each block in the area and choose to un-apply the block to the pages.
  2. Change the order of said blocks in area.
  3. click to re set up blocks in area for defaults.
    4 Ta-Da, the blocks are now in the new default order and it is reflected on every already existing page.

Can’t do that any more!!!

1 Like

For instance, to do this now in v9, you have to copy/paste each block into a different page area. Then delete the original blocks from the area, and copy in the new set of blocks and then set them up for defaults. It’s a pain!!

1 Like

@enlil hmm that does sound like it would be arduous - can you link me the Github issue you’re referencing?

@EvanCooper It never came to github fruition, by myself anyway, because suddenly there was word that the way we set up defaults would be shifted to doing so by area (Saw some commenting by Andrew. Believe this was on github), leaving thoughts and argument up in arms, as to how we would be moving forward as is…

1 Like

The problem is there are no Setup on Child Pages

x

we are talking about the Design setting in Sidebar

currently the set up on child pages option is per block in an area, not the entire area itself. There has been talk in the past about bringing the setup on child pages functionality to the area itself, but has gone a bit stagnant…

1 Like

it is, and not even on large websites (I have 60 blog entries, but I don’t want to do it manually with each modification) - is there a chance to improve it?

@EvanCooper Can you tell us how to do this, how to update in previous threads?
Is this possible or does it have to be done manually for each entry?

@ampersand I see, you’re talking about design settings. No, that’s not possible. Page type defaults in general is meant to control the default populated content, not styling. If you’re page template isn’t styled as you like, that’s really the realm of the theme itself, not Page Type Defaults.

So if you want to change the styling on something universally, but you for some reason don’t want to touch theme files (which would be the best way to handle this), you can put a style tag in tracking codes, which would get loaded on every page and so affect every blog detail page.

I don’t really understand what you’re writing about, but I also think you don’t understand the problem.

After publishing on the blog, I try to modify the appearance of the entry pages - which seems easy and possible (you talk about it everywhere and that’s how it should work - easy peasy).
Unfortunately, it doesn’t work retroactively, so what you’re writing about is a bit strange, because it works as it should, but only in subsequent cases.

The only thing missing (which seems logical) is the inclusion of changes in previous entries - exactly as is the case with the remaining blocks.