Trying to upload a new hero image. getting success and failure messages

I installed Concrete CMS. I included the sample data. I attempted to edit the top block and change the hero image. I removed the existing image by clicking the x next to the image thumbnail. it disappeared. I clicked upload file, chose the hero images directory and selected my 1MB in size .jpg image file. The progress pie chart completed I got a green popup saying Upload Complete. and below that I get a red popup that said Upload Error. The file does not show up with a thumbnail like the one I was replacing. Still a button that says CHOOSE IMAGE. and it’s not in the list of images available to choose from. I am running Concrete version 9.2.4 and am currently on PHP version 8, though I also tired PHP 8.2 and 7.4 (I got the same behavior with 7.4) and Concrete CMS wouldn’t even run on 8.2, just get a strange debug screen of some sort. Any help will be appreciated! Thanks! John

BTW: here is php.ini:
display_errors = Off

max_execution_time = 60

max_input_time = 60

max_input_vars = 1000

memory_limit = 512M

post_max_size = 516M

session.gc_maxlifetime = 1440

session.save_path = “/var/cpanel/php/sessions/ea-php80”

upload_max_filesize = 512M

zlib.output_compression = Off

Hi John,

I would verify that all the settings in your environment match what is specified here:

My hunch is you might be missing something like GD or something along those lines.