Version 5.6.3: how to backup & upgrade? Receiving Capacity & 503 Error

I am trying to run a backup before I attempt to upgrade a Concrete Site. I don’t see a place to just run a backup of the site (unless that is the “database backup”?).

Each time I run the database backup, I receive the following message:

“Service Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
Additionally, a 503 Service Unavailable error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.”

I have several backups to run before I can get to the current version. I don’t want to do this process without backups.

Advice please!

You cannot upgrade a 5.6 site beyond 5.6.4.0, there is no upgrade path to 5.7, 5.8 or version 9 from a 5.6 code base.
The backup you speak of is indeed the ‘database backup’ to create a backup of your file system you should use your server control panel file manager to create a ‘zipped archive’ and download that to your PC, whilst you are in control panel go to your phpMyAdmin and export the database to your PC.
This will give you a complete backup of your site.

1 Like

ConcreteOwl, thanks for responding to my post. Since there is no upgrade path, would you say the best course of action is to begin from scratch and create a new site on version 9?

Depends on what your plans are for the future. If the site is reasonably static, just get it to the latest 5.6.4.0 from github legacy and leave it there.

If you have plans for further content and a copy/paste recreate in v9 would not take too long, then go for v9. Maybe wait a few minor versions until all the teething bugs are sorted. V9 is still very new.

Also bear in mind that many 5.6 addons do not have v8 or v9 equivalents and that only a few addons and themes are currently updated for v9 compatibility.

1 Like

Yes, if you really want a Version 9 site then start from scratch is the cleanest way.
There are some migration addons that will allow you to migrate the content of your site from the old site to the new, they are a bit and miss though so a fresh install of Version 8 or Version 9 would be my preferred choice.

1 Like

I am new to websites and Concrete. I’m trying to help a client but this is not my main bread and butter. Are there serious advantages to upgrading to a higher version? Right now they have a basic site and I don’t see them willing to invest in kicking up an extra activity any time soon.

Who in the community would you recommend if I need to pay for help with creating a site backup and/or upgrading?

I can help you with this, contact me via a Private Message to establish communications