Concrete 9.0.1 and 8.5.7 are Now Available!

Hot on the heels of version 9, Concrete 9.0.1 is now available!

https://concretecms.org/download

9.0.1 contains a number of bug fixes, many of which could make upgrading older sites difficult, bug fixes around themes using the older theme customizer, problems running on PHP 8, problems installing Concrete via composer on PHP 8, and much more. The full release notes are here:

https://documentation.concretecms.org/developers/introduction/version-history/901-release-notes

Additionally, we’re also making 8.5.7 available. 8.5.7 features some important bug fixes to the auto-updater, some security fixes, and other small bug fixes. It is highly recommended for those running version 8.

https://documentation.concretecms.org/developers/introduction/version-history/857-release-notes

Thanks for all your help testing and offering feedback on version 9. We hope using it is going relatively smoothly.

1 Like

Sorry to be the first with bad news, but the upgrade from version 9.0.0 does not work :frowning:

We haven’t put the 9.0 releases in the auto updater yet. Ideally we’d have a system where we could seed 9.0.1 to 9.0 users without offering it to all 8.5.x users but we aren’t quite there yet unfortunately

I always upgrade by replacing the concrete folder. It takes 1 min and never failed. I find it’s the easiest and fastest way. On both home computer and remote hosting.

1. BACKUP
  2. Upload new version zip to server
  3. Unzip
  4. Replace existing ‘concrete’ folder with new
  5. Refresh any site page

1 min total for steps 1-4! :muscle: :+1: :grin:

4 Likes

Thank you very much - great method. :muscle: :+1: :grin:
I understand that I do not lose the settings in themes.

Ok. I understand.
It seemed like a natural way to update, and I just noticed that it didn’t work. Thanks to this, we all got a tip on how to do it faster;)

thnx @linuxoid :+1:

I’m still having ‘undefined variable’ issues on 9.0.1. Even the upgrade landing page errors out with an undefined variable <?=$status?> .It upgrades but crashes after the upgrade. Is nobody else seeing this in:

\concrete\views\frontend\upgrade.php

I also had to add an “if (!isset($fileVersion)) {” at line 105 of:
\concrete\controllers\single_page\dashboard\files\details.php

And I also had to add an “if (isset($highlightResults)” in:
\concrete\single_pages\dashboard\files\search.php

I’m on Xampp 8.0.12. Apparently undefined variables are now a warning in PHP8 where they used to be just a notice but I’ve changed my error_reporting to ignore warnings but it still crashes a lot on undefined variables.

Yeah, I noticed this too. I think you may have just removed warnings incorrectly? I know because it took me awhile to do it right under PHP 8.

We do want to try and fix this under PHP 8 because I don’t want to ignore warning errors forever, but I found this code works to suppress the errors under PHP8. I’m taking this from my post in GitHub:

Just open index.php in the webroot, and above the line:

require 'concrete/dispatcher.php';

add this line:

define('DEFAULT_ERROR_REPORTING', E_ALL & ~E_WARNING & ~E_NOTICE & ~E_STRICT & ~E_DEPRECATED);

This is the standard Concrete error reporting setting – but minus warning errors.

Again, I’m not advocating this as a long term fix; we’d be happy to get pull requests to fix these warning errors in the core. But for those who’d like to get things working again today in a backward-compatible way, this should do the trick.

composer is still on C5.8.x ?

- concrete5/core[8.2.0, ..., 8.5.6] require zendframework/zend-mail 2.7.* -> satisfiable by zendframework/zend-mail[2.7.0, 2.7.1, 2.7.2, 2.7.3].
    - zendframework/zend-mail[2.7.0, ..., 2.7.3] require php ^5.5 || ^7.0 -> your php version (8.0.11) does not satisfy that requirement.
    - Root composer.json requires concrete5/core ^8.2 -> satisfiable by concrete5/core[8.2.0, ..., 8.5.6].

Thx Andrew, that did the trick.

@andrew, any news on when you will be releasing v9.0.2 ?