Hi all, thought I’d put something in this category to get a bit of discussion going.
Slowly but surely I’ve been working on updating Community Store for V9 readiness.
That’s going well, with it really just being further styling/class adjustments across dashboard pages to go - functionality wise everything seems to be working as it does in V8.
If anyone has some time to help with this, it’s really just a case of doing pull-requests against this branch. It’s work suitable for someone who is comfortable with front-end work and Bootstrap.
The main consideration is that these updates also need to work with version 8, so it’s a case of leaving in existing bootstrap 3 classes and adding the newer bootstrap ones. There’s no issue if things end up a little different in V8, sometimes structure needs to change a little, it’s really just making sure it doesn’t end up looking broken or weird.
I’ve been doing this work by running both v8 and v9 installs, but linking the community_store folder into the v9 copy - it’s then easy to work in once place but preview it in both versions.
I’ve intentionally stopped thinking about feature additions during this period, so it’s easier to work on. But once this update is complete and version 9 of Concrete CMS comes out, the question I have is: what should the focus be on next for Community Store?
Some questions might be:
- What are the sticking points, or even bugs, that should be addressed before moving on to larger new features? Are there actually any new features needed (or new features via complementing add-ons)?
- Do parts of the interface (like product variations) need work, and/or should they be re-thought?
- Is it missing any common shop functionality that other common systems like Shopify or Prestashop offer?
- Do we need to improve default shipping calculator options, or provide some more add-ons for common shipping scenarios?
- Are the tax calculations flexible enough? Does it need to work with something like Taxjar? (screams in terror)
- Are product and product list blocks flexible enough? Do we need more templates?
- What is lacking from the documentation?
- Does the Paypal payment method need modernising?
- Does the REST add-on need further functionality?
We’ve used Community Store ourselves on a number of projects, but those each have their own specific requirements, and there might be use-cases I’m simply not considering - hence me putting this broader question out there.